The Hydropower Sustainability Assessment Protocol (HSAP) is an enhanced sustainability assessment tool used to measure and guide performance in the hydropower sector.
- Is a framework for assessing the sustainability of hydropower projects
- Distils hydropower sustainability into more than 20 clearly-defined topics
- Provides a consistent, globally applicable methodology
- Is governed by a multi-stakeholder council
- Is regulated by a charter and terms and conditions of use
The produced sustainability profile is compared to what is internationally regarded as basic good practice (score 3) and proven best practice (score 5). Please see an exemplary result of an HSAP application below.
Hydropower Evolutions is committed to achieving at least basic good practice in all relevant sustainability topics, as defined by the HSAP, of projects where we are engaged.
Hydropower Sustainability Tools
IHA HSAP on YouTube (video)
World Bank recommends HSAP (pdf)
HSAP in Practice (pdf)
Official Assessment of Walchensee Power Plant (pdf)