Sustainable supply security
Uniper is an international energy company that operates roughly 33 GW of generating capacity in Europe and Russia, which ranks us among the world's largest power producers.
We intend for our power business in Europe to be carbon-neutral by 2035, in part by adding 1.5-2 GW of solar and wind capacity by 2025. Uniper is also a global energy trader and a leading European gas company with a diversified portfolio of long-term contracted volumes amounting to roughly 400 TWh annually. In addition, we design and implement innovative, climate-friendly solutions that propel cities, utilities, and industrial enterprises on their decarbonization journeys. Being an acknowledged hydrogen pioneer gives us the ambition to operate worldwide along the entire hydrogen value chain and to conduct projects that will help make hydrogen a mainstay of tomorrow's energy supply. In sum, Uniper's purpose is to Empower Energy Evolution.
Based in Düsseldorf, Uniper is currently one of Germany's largest publicly listed energy supply companies. Together with our main shareholder Fortum, we are also Europe's third-largest producer of zero-carbon energy.
Uniper has the right assets, knowledge, and skills to succeed in the classic energy world. We have a deep understanding of global and regional energy markets, regulatory regimes, and market designs.
We have a wide range of capabilities in the construction, management, and operation of large-scale energy assets as well as the optimization and risk management of assets and contracts. And we have long-standing relationships with industrial customers, municipal utilities, system operators, and our suppliers.
These strengths and networks reinforce one another.
Uniper Key Facts
- Active in more than 40 countries, with the largest presence in Germany, Russia, Sweden, and Britain
- Roughly 33 GW of power generating capacity (roughly equal to the total capacity of the Netherlands)
- Power generation business in Europe to be carbon-neutral by 2035
- Gas portfolio amounting roughly 400 TWh long-term contracted gas volumes annually, enough to heat 22 million homes (based on average consumption in Germany).
- 8 bcm of underground gas storage capacity (Germany, Britain, Austria)
- 11,500 employees
- Solid sustainability ratings: MCSI ESG rating: BB; CDP: B; EcoVadis: Silver
- €1.8 billion in EBITDA
* Figures for 2021